48th Annual NYSFAAA Conference
Turning Stone Casino and Resort
October 18 - 20, 2016
NOTE: To register for webinars, you MUST be a current member with an ending membership date of 11/15/2016. You can complete and pay for the membership application prior to registering by Clicking Here. Or, you will be taken to the membership application during the webinar registration process.
You will not be able to complete this registration until your membership is paid.
Having Fun with Taxes, 2017-2018 Edition
Webinar - Thu, Feb 16, 2017
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
The 2016-2017 Application and Verification Guide states that “financial aid professionals are not expected to have special knowledge or expertise regarding the U.S. tax code” (page 83) but then lists a set of areas where you are expected to be especially (but not expertly) knowledgeable.
Jim Briggs has retired, and passed his tax workshops to Robert Weinerman of Iron Bridge Resources, LLC.
Jim says this about Robert: "Robert is one of the few individuals I know who has the unique skill set to serve my long term clients." Robert is happy to bring a new spin to NYSFAAA’s annual tax training webinar.
This year’s training will cover, among other things:
- Who must file? Who doesn’t have to file?
- The new nonfiler verification requirements
- The new guidance on undocumented nonfilers
- Foreign and territory return requirements
- Amended tax returns
- Resolving conflicting information, especially Head of Household and nonfiler issues
- And everything else you’ve come to rely on the Tax Detective for.
Come join the first ever Webinar with TAX DETECTIVE the next generation.
FSA - THE NEW AUDIT GUIDE
Webinar - Thu, Jan 26, 2017
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Whether this new Audit Guide is a good thing will be left to be seen but the Audit Guide definitely updates the required auditor’s testing in a number of areas.
New or key updates to the Audit Guide include an expanded student sample size, student confirmations, review of Gainful Employment Disclosures and information submitted to ED, review of placement rates if utilized in advertising, servicer agreements, changes in extrapolation of errors if material findings exist, and limitations of the auditor in performing the 90/10 calculation.
This webinar will cover the critical changes to ensure institutions understand the new audit requirements and are hiring a CPA firm which is fully qualified to perform an audit in compliance with the new Audit Guide”.
McClintock & Associates
McClintock & Associates is a full service CPA firm specializing in post-secondary institutions.
Aaron Lacey, Partner
Thomson, Coburn LLP
An experienced higher education attorney, with time served both as outside and in-house counsel, Aaron's practice is dedicated entirely to assisting postsecondary institutions and their partners to advance their educational and operational objectives while navigating complex regulatory environments.
Non-NYSFAAA Training Activities
- Department of Education
- HESC – Visit the HESC Web Site for all NYSHESC sponsored training.
- SUNYFAP – State University of New York Financial Aid Professions
POLICY: Under certain circumstances, established by Council, the registration fee is refundable.
1. The refund policy must be stated on the registration form.
2. The policy is that normally refunds are granted if requested in writing and the request is received at least two weeks before the first day of the event.
3. Under extenuating circumstances, such as illness, the two-week deadline may be waived. Such refunds may be authorized either by the Committee Chair or by the Treasurer. They may request whatever documentation they deem appropriate on a document. It is important that these officials consult, however, so there is consistent treatment of members each year and so that one does not approve a member who might be rejected by another officer.
4. Other members of the Council are not authorized to approve refunds.
APPROVED: July 1993; April 1998